Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Stranded in Caracas, Venezuela

Compared to the other countries i have visited so far, this place is crazy expensive. A quick example: Big Mac, fries & soda costs 17,500 Bolivares (2,150 Bs per $1US). So that would be about $8. Now i don´t buy or eat Clown Food, but my suspicion is that Ronald´s customers in the states aren´t paying that much for a burger, fries & soda.


Caracas is a big city. Mucha, mucha gente, traffic (best be careful crossing the street, pedestrians DO NOT get the right of way), hi rises, banks.


I am residing in the Montserrat Hotel in the Altamira section of Caracas. This is my 3rd hotel. After leaving the Brazilian Consulate, i hailed a taxi, and asked the cabbie to take me to a good, but cheap hotel. First he took me to a good, expensive hotel (about $90US), then we got back in the cab & he took me to one of the hotels i had on my list, The Hotel Ritz in the Sabana Grande district. The hotel was neither ritzy, nor Sabana "grand", but i took the room anyway. 8th floor. The traffic on the street was so loud, i had to wear earplugs in order to sleep.


I was not particularly impressed with Sabana Grande, so the next day i checked out, and took another cab to another motel on my list. Turned out it was practically around the corner from the Ritz. So, I decided i would try to find a hotel near the Brazilian Consulate. I found a couple of cabbies chatting at the curb, waiting for a passenger, and told one where i wanted to go. Neither he, nor his colleague knew where the consulate was, so i told him i would get the directions, and come back. Found an internet cafe. googled the consulate, wrote down the address, returned to the taxi stand. Different guy. Gave him the directions and off we went. After much asking for directions, we found the consulate. He dropped me off and i went in search of a hotel. Well, to make a long story short, after much walking around, i found one, Hotel la Floresta. It cost a lot more than i wanted to spend but i was in a "nicer" area, and i was tired of walking around toting a backpack. The next day i checked out after inquiring about the availability of a cheaper room, and being told i was already in the cheapest room. So off in search for another place to sleep. And again, after much walking around and being time and time again, no rooms were available, i returned to the Montserrat (i remembered having buzzed it the day before and told no vacancies), and did my best to charm the receptionist, in spanish. She gave me a long look, then ask me to wait for a moment. i sat in the lobby for a few minutes. she called me and said she had a room for me. i was ecstatic. Room 333. In the rear of the building, so quiet, with a view of the landscaped grounds of some kind of cultural center.


Language

Caracans speak fast, and are fond of rapidly rolling their r´s and cutting off the ending of words. "Diesiete" becomes "diesie", "gracias" is "gracia".


Cuisine

I have found it a challenge to find food here that i want to eat. Fast food restaurants seem to be all the rage. There are also guys who have hamburger/hot dog stands. The hamburguesas come with a fried egg as a topping on the meat. Sandwiches are big here too. Made with processed meat. Ham. White bread. Yesterday i bought something called a cachapa, a folded crepe over some cheesy stuff. There is, however, near my hotel, a fast food sushi restaurant. Real sushi. Though the portions are rather small.


Spent most of Christmas at the Parque del Este, a huge public park with a zoo and exploratorium similar to Golden Gate Park. I had planned to take the subway there, but the station on the corner of my block was closed. I thought perhaps, the Metro was closed due to the holiday, so decided to take a walk anyway. I walked right to the park, about 10 minutes from my hotel! It has a small zoo, with monkeys, these big hairy, chipmunk looking animals, toucans, and a huge bird called a aguila harpia . Many, many families were in the park. Balls flying about, remote controlled airplanes and cars. A little girl in pink on her new pink bicycle. Kids running and jumping. Dads playing with their boys. Hanging out at the park, i got the impression that Caracas (or Venezuela) is a family oriented culture. Or, perhaps it is just this time of the year that brings all the families out.


Went to the consulate this morning to inquire if perhaps i could get my Brazilian visa before Friday. The answer was "no".




 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.